While talking about a good plumbing system, you cannot leave out pipes. Sturdy pipes are an essential part of every house’s plumbing system, however; they are not going to last forever. With years of use, they might rust, crack and undergo deterioration that might cause a severe damage to your household’s plumbing system. Now the question arises, what are you going to do with these pipes? You might want to repair them but in certain cases, replacing them is the only way to salvage the situation.
Common Causes Of Damaged Pipes
- Freezing Temperatures And Unprotected Piping: Water in the pipes can freeze at low temperatures, causing bursting of the pipes as water expands when it becomes ice. The pipe can burst from the middle or from its weaker joints. It is mostly seen in the case of plastic and copper pipes.
- Hydraulic shocks: Hydraulic shocks that are caused by the abrupt opening and closing of valves can result in bursting of pipes due to a lot of stress on the plumbing system. In homes, hydraulic shocks can happen because of toilets, washing machines or dishwashers operating too abruptly or with high water pressure.
- Age: If the pipes have been in use for a long time, they can develop rust or just weaken, resulting in cracks. Old pipes get brittle with time.
- Pipe Material: While some pipes like the ones made up of copper, brass and galvanized steel can last for a long time, pipes made from other materials are not going to last long.
- Lack Of Maintenance: One of the key factors of a healthy and efficient plumbing system is good maintenance. New pipes would not last long without proper maintenance whereas old ones can last longer if they are given proper maintenance.
Should You Replace Your Pipes Or Repair Them?
It goes without saying that replacing the pipes would cost more than doing plumbing repairs. There are many factors you have to take into account before you choose one over the other.
- If the pipes are very old, chances are that they would not last for a long time. So, in order to be on the safe side, you might want to replace them. Although, before you begin the project, having an idea about the type of pipes used in the plumbing would be beneficial. Some pipes last longer than others with just some good maintenance.
- Replacing the whole plumbing skeleton at once would be a strain on your budget. Sometimes, doing replacements on a long-term basis can prove to be a more prudent investment.
- If it was just a onetime leak, you do not need to replace the pipes. Instead, have the plumbing repairs done by a licensed plumber in Surrey.
You can contact 911 Plumbing Heating Drainage, LTD for plumbing services in Surrey. They make use of state of art equipment for a long-term solution. Their skilled plumbers would take care of the problem in a jiffy and you get the repairs done at very affordable prices.